Author Topic: Oddball Reborn  (Read 790 times)

Offline Hidden

• Reputation Stats: +0/-0
Oddball Reborn
« on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »
Several folks have been telling me it was time to retire the XJ, AKA Oddball. It was time to upgrade. This past year was tough on the rig and it seemed I was wrenching on it more than driving. So, last Sept I picked up an '86 CJ7. SAS already completed, Dana 30 (pass drop) front and AMC 20 rear with 2 piece axles, sitting on 315x75x16 brand new Toyo MT tires. 258 motor, converted to propane, TF999 trans and Dana 300 tcase. Axles are open/open, stock gears.

Started doing little things to it but was trying to keep the XJ on the trail. Parker did it in. Decided to bite the bullet and start building the CJ. Here are some pics of the build.

I open to suggestions. Oddball is still appropriate as 1/2 the CJ has XJ parts

Pulled the Dana 44, 4.88, locked, out of the XJ and swapped it over. Pulled some leafs out of the pack to lower it a bit and flipped them. Current axle length is 101. 4:1 231 transplanted from XJ to CJ for the time being. (Eventually will build a crawl box and double stick the 300). Building a cross-member and will need to re-do the driveshafts. Front axle will get transplanted in the next week or so. Rear bumper transplanted.

Good bye......  you will live on in another body.....

The start

XJ axle, springs and rear bumper transplanted.  Springs are too tall

Sitting on 33's for the time being, soon to be on beadlocked 35's and comp cut in the planning...
John

85 XJ
86 CJ7

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up......

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +3/-0
Re: Oddball Reborn
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
Wow...looking good John!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

When you own a Jeep, you view EVERYTHING in your path as an obstacle to crawl over!

jpwood1969

Oddball Reborn
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »
Nice I bet she won't smell like oil going down the trail now!

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
Very Nice looking. Can't wait to see it.

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • 4x4'er
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Do you have manual seat brackets in that xj? I have power and there broken and leaning.
Boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +2/-0
  • Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult
    • James' Website
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »
The Oddball will be missed. Hope to wheel with you soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I Refuse To Have A Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Person

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »
We want more pictures John!
When you own a Jeep, you view EVERYTHING in your path as an obstacle to crawl over!

Offline Hidden

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
Small update.... pics to come later

Ernie,  I have a set of manual seats in storage at Charlie's place if you want to do some talking.  The seats in the XJ are a mix.  The passenger is a manual seat.  The driver seat was power but I put an aftermarket seat on the bracket.  We can talk if you want to.

Got the rear axle all in.  Crossmember built, traction bar built, tcase shifter fabbed and installed.  Drove it this weekend to turn it around in the garage.....  ;D    Got the front axle pulled out of each and the new axle is located under the CJ.  Have to do some mods to the long arms, tie rod, drag link etc.  This weekend will be busy.  Pics to follow.

If anyone is interested in any parts from the XJ, let me know.  Also have a narrow track AMC20, driver drop dana 30, 2" superlift leaf springs that came off the CJ.

Just Empty Every Pocket so we can Just Explore Every Place
John

85 XJ
86 CJ7

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up......