Author Topic: a little steering read  (Read 776 times)

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • 4x4'er
  • Reputation Stats: +0/-0
Boom goes the dynamite.

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +3/-0
Re: a little steering read
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »
So Tank, have you, or has anyone else tried this mod? 
When you own a Jeep, you view EVERYTHING in your path as an obstacle to crawl over!

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:56:06 PM »
Kent, I have done this to a few pumps. and yes it helps. If you are not running a ram, then the Durango box is a better upgrade. I did both on my old XJ. Going to Hydro assist, I ended up going back to the stock box as the pump could not keep up with the larger piston in the Durango box and the addition of the ram.

I personally believe that Hydro assist is the best option in an Xj. The steering box puts a lot of stress on the unibody. The ram moves a lot of stress to the axle. With that being said, the ram only works when the pump goes into bypass. Increasing pressure in the pump increases stress on the unibody (as well as the sector shaft and pitman arm) and delays the function of the ram.

My current set up is a 2" ram, a stock YJ box, and a stock pump drilled for better flow, and an additional a very  important oil cooler in front of the radiator. It drives and handles well. Pushes my 38" tires around with ease. I can turn the wheel against a wall and push the Jeep sideways. Now not having increased pump pressure, I can still bind my steering. But that also prevents me from bending tie rods and blowing out ball joints.
Everyone brings Joy to my life. Some when they come, Some when they Go!!!

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »
Great follow up Charlie...thanks!  I have considered the hydro-assist, but my biggest concern with it is that if my battery dies (which with teenagers happens more often than you could imagine), steering becomes an issue.  :o

I'm definitely wanting to upgrade the steering, as my present stock often hangs when I need it most.   :-\
When you own a Jeep, you view EVERYTHING in your path as an obstacle to crawl over!

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
Not sure what your getting at about the battery

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
Hydo- assist....not full hydro.  I'm back....never mind.  Too much recent grinding wheel dust.  :)

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
I"m still not getting it. Neither system uses battery power. Both allow steering with a dead engine. You should be carrying jumper cables anyway.

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
I thought with full you can't steer without power?  I have teenagers....my cables have seen lots of action!