Author Topic: Drum to Disc Ford 8.8 Swap  (Read 724 times)

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
  • Reputation Stats: +3/-0
Drum to Disc Ford 8.8 Swap
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
Well, I was tired of wearing out my tires, and the added stares from folks when my Jeep leaned either direction when turning a corner was getting old.  It was time to make it road worthy again...there are a few malls here I have yet to crawl!

My old drum 8.8 was "Lincoln Locked", so sold it to a friend here in Abq and went to the donor lot to find a limited slip 8.8.  Found one and took it home.  Put in a new 4.88 Ring and Pinion, along with seals and new e-brake pads(bearings were all good).  Cut off the old perches and shock mounts.   Welded on new perches, mounts and welded the tubes to the housing.  Heated up the housing with a handheld bottle of Mapp gas and welded it with a Mig...came out nice!  Installed the new brake lines (2 - 30" lines cut down).  Installed ZJ e-brake lines (as recommended by all the other write ups on other forums)...they are both about 6" too short.  That is where I am at present.   Only thing stopping me from being done is the e-brake solution (or lack there of).

Pictures so far:
http://s899.photobucket.com/user/DaYeep/slideshow/Axle%20with%20discs
When you own a Jeep, you view EVERYTHING in your path as an obstacle to crawl over!

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
Re: Drum to Disc Ford 8.8 Swap
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
Need some last minute advice....all the other forums say that you can use ZJ ebrake cables and they are a direct fit.   Well, I bought $60 worth and hooked them up and they are about 6" short to connecting to the center pull plate at the ebrake handle, AND they are short of reaching the c-clip body mounts that they secure to.

I know now that I can order some from East Coast Gear Supply for another $70, but does anyone know of other options?.....and I don't mean, "Yeah, get a boat anchor and chain and chuck it out the window to stop!
When you own a Jeep, you view EVERYTHING in your path as an obstacle to crawl over!

Offline Hidden

• Administrator
Re: Drum to Disc Ford 8.8 Swap
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
You guys were a lot of help!   :-\

I called East Coast Gear Supply and got a set of ebrake cables designed for the XJ Ford 8.8 swap.  They are completely adjustable and work with all lift sizes.  $70 delivered, be here in 3-4 days.